Saturday, September 27, 2008

Updates!

Last night I went to a little gathering at a friend's place to watch the presidential debate. I spent the whole thing crocheting (otherwise I think I would've fallen asleep; I was exhausted last night). I got a lot of compliments on my work, which made me feel really nice. I've gotten attention crocheting before, but this was the first time I got that "wow, I could never do that, that's amazing!" I think it owed a lot to what I'm working on right now; both of the projects look really pretty and complex. For the first half of the debate it was working on the Queen Anne's Lace Scarf I'm making on a present. It's not complex at all, but it looks complicated. Halfway through the debate my first skein of yarn for the scarf ran out and to shake it up a bit I moved on to my Afternoon Tea Fingerless Gloves. I started the gloves as an experiment in working with fingerling yarns, and with working crochet lace... and because the pattern looked really pretty. I finished the bulk of the first glove (which had been a WIP for days) by the end of the debate. I need to buy buttons for the wrist before I go any further; I'll probably cut off the first glove with plenty of extra yarn then start on the second, so both will be ready for buttons when I finally get some.

I really have to learn how to block and steam my work. The gloves require it, and I think the scarf could use it - the motifs curl up on the edges and I'd prefer if they lay flat.

On my past projects: The pixie hood is done, and I really love it; I've been wearing it a lot. I decided not to add the fringe-ends to it, so it's just a hood with very little scarf associated (it does have ends that wrap around my neck). I need to buy or find a brooch to keep the two ends together, and thereby keep it on my head - it sits quite far back and I'm constantly in fear that it was fall off. It's super cute, though. I'll have pictures soon. I wish I had got one of my (male) friend weairng it last night during the debate.
The amigurumi octopus is still a WIP - sewing on the feet is sort of a pain. He only has 2 right now. I think I may work on those as soon as I save this entry and make myself another cup of tea. It's a rainy sort of day, I'm still in bed, and I think doing crochet sounds nicer than studying.

I want to make more pixie hoods.
Also, I want to learn to knit socks. It looks like a lot of fun.
I need to figure out what my next project will be... the scarf will be done in the next few days and while I'd like having something else to do along with the gloves - something I can do while reading / while in lectures.

No comments: